In its Original Order

In its Original Order

Read the Bible as it was meant to be read

Read the Bible as it was meant to be read, in its original order and in easy to read modern English with study notes.


Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Letter of Paul to The Philippians


The Letter of Paul To:
THE PHILIPPIANS

AD 61... 
The INTERNAL EVIDENCE for the authenticity of this Epistle is strong. The style, manner of thought, and doctrine, accord with Paul's. The incidental allusions also establish his authorship. Philippi was the first (that is, the farthest from Rome, and first which met Paul in entering Macedonia) Macedonian city of the district, called Macedonia Prima (so called as lying farthest eastward). The Greek ( Acts 16:12 chief city," as English Version, but as above [ALFORD]. Not it, but Thessalonica, was the chief city of the province, and Amphipolis, of the district called Macedonia Prima. It was a Roman "colony" ( Acts 16:12 over Brutus and Cassius. A colony was in fact a portion of Rome itself transplanted to the provinces, an offshoot from Rome, and as it were a portrait of the mother city on a small scale [AULUS GELLIUS, Attic Nights, 16.13]. Its inhabitants were Roman citizens, having the right of voting in the Roman tribes, governed by their own senate and magistrates, and not by the governor of the province, with the Roman law and Latin language.
Paul, with Silas and Timothy, planted the Gospel there ( Acts 16:12 &c.), in his second missionary journey, A.D. 51. Doubtless he visited it again on his journey from Ephesus into Macedonia ( Acts 20:1 Acts 20:3 Acts 20:6 Greece (Corinth) to Syria by way of Macedonia. His sufferings at Philippi ( Acts 16:19 between him and his Philippian converts, who also, like him, were exposed to trials for the Gospel's sake ( 1 Thessalonians 2:2 supplies for his temporal wants, twice shortly after he had left them ( Philippians 4:15 Philippians 4:16 Epistle ( Philippians 4:10 Philippians 4:18 ; 2 Corinthians 11:9 part was, perhaps, also in part due to the fact that few Jews were in Philippi, as in other scenes of his labors, to sow the seeds of distrust and suspicion. There was no synagogue, but merely a Jewish Proseucha, or oratory, by the riverside. So that there only do we read of his meeting no opposition from Jews, but only from the masters of the divining damsel, whose gains had been put an end to by her being dispossessed.
Though the Philippian Church was as yet free from Judaizing influence, yet it needed to be forewarned of that danger which might at any time assail it from without ( Philippians 3:2 influences had crept into the Galatian churches. In Philippians 4:2 Philippians 4:3 a trace of the fact recorded in the history ( Acts 16:13 Acts 16:14 female converts were among the first to receive the Gospel at Philippi.
As to the state of the Church, we gather from 2 Corinthians 8:1 2 Corinthians 8:2 members were poor, yet most liberal; and from Philippians 1:28-30 that they were undergoing persecution. The only blemish referred to in their character was, on the part of some members, a tendency to dissension. Hence arise his admonitions against disputings ( Philippians 1:27 ; Philippians 2:1-4 Philippians 2:12 Philippians 2:14 ; 4:2
The OBJECT of the Epistle is general: not only to thank the Philippians for their contribution sent by Epaphroditus, who was now in returning to take back the apostle's letter, but to express his Christian love and sympathy, and to exhort them to a life consonant with that of Christ, and to warn them against existing dissensions and future possible assaults of Judaizers from without. It is remarkable in this Epistle alone, as compared with the others, that, amidst many commendations, there are no express censures of those to whom it is addressed. No doctrinal error, or schism, has as yet sprung up; the only blemish hinted at is, that some of the Philippian Church were somewhat wanting in lowliness of mind, the result of which want was disputation. (Jamieson)


Philippians 1:

THANKSGIVING AND PRAYERS:
1 Paul and Timothy, slaves of Jesus Christ, to all the saints in Christ Jesus at Philippi, with the elders (Bishops) and Deacons of the church:

2 Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the LORD Jesus Christ.
Again, no hint of a Trinity

3 I give praise to my God at every memory of you,

4 And in all my prayers for you all, making my request with joy,

5 Because of your help in giving the good news (gospel) from the time you first heard it until now.

6 For I am certain of this very thing, that He by whom the good work was started in you will continue His work until it is finally finished on that day when Christ Jesus comes back again.

7 So it is right for me to take thought for you all in this way, because I have you in my heart; for in my chains, and in my arguments before the judges in support of the good news, making clear that it is true, you all have your part with me in grace.

8 For God is my witness, how my love goes out to you all in the loving mercies of Christ Jesus.

9 And my prayer is that you may be increased more and more in knowledge and experience;

10 So that you may give your approval to the best things; that you may be true and without wrongdoing till the day of Christ;

11 Being full of the fruits of righteousness, which are through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.

12 Now it is my purpose to make clear to you, brothers, that the cause of the good news has been helped by my experiences;

13 So that it became clear through all the the soldiers in the palace guard, that I was a prisoner on account of Christ;

14 And most of the brothers in the LORD, taking heart because of my chains, are all the stronger to give the word of God without fear.

15 Though some are preaching Christ out of jealousy and rivalry, others do it out of a good heart:

16 These do it from love, conscious that I am responsible for the cause of the good news:

17 Those others do not have pure motives as they preach about Christ. They preach with selfish ambition, not sincerely, intending to make my chains more painful to me.

18 But whether or not their motives are pure, the fact remains that the message about Christ is being preached, so I rejoice. And I will continue to rejoice.

19 For I am conscious that this will be for my salvation, through your prayer and the giving out of the stored wealth of the Spirit of Jesus Christ,

20 In the measure of my strong hope and belief that in nothing will I be put to shame, but that without fear, as at all times, so now will Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death.

21 For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain (profit).

22 But if I go on living in the flesh--if this is the fruit of my work--then I do not see what decision to make.

23 I am in a hard position between the two, having a desire to go away and be with Christ, which is very much better:

24 Still, to go on in the flesh because it is better for you that I live.
PAUL IS WRONG:
25 I am convinced of this, so I will return to you so that you will grow and experience the joy of your faith.
Paul Here seems to think he is going to be released from jail and would return to them. He never was! Paul is wrong here.

26 Then when I return to you, you will have even more reason to boast about what Christ Jesus has done for me.

27 Only let your behavior be good for the good news of Christ, so that if I come and see you or if I am away from you, I may have news of you that you are strong in one spirit, working together with one soul for the faith of the good news;

28 Don't be intimidated by your enemies. This will be a sign to them that they are going to be destroyed, but that you are going to be saved, even by God Himself.

29 For you have been given not only the privilege of trusting in Christ but also the privilege of suffering for Him.

30 We are in this fight together. You have seen me suffer for Him in the past, and you know that I am still in the midst of this great struggle.


Philippians 2:
1 If then there is any comfort in Christ, any help given by love, any uniting of hearts in the Spirit, any loving mercies and pity,

2 Make my joy complete by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in harmony and of one mind;

3 Doing nothing through envy or through pride, but with low thoughts of self let everyone take others to be better than himself;

4 Not looking everyone to his private good, but keeping in mind the things of others.

5 Let this mind be in you which was in Christ Jesus,

6 To whom, though Himself was God, he did not demand and cling to his rights as God.

7 But he made Himself as nothing, taking the form of a servant, being made like men;

8 And being seen in form as a man, He took the lowest place, and let Himself be put to death, by dying a criminal's death on a cross.

9 For this reason God has put Him in the highest place and has given to Him the Name which is greater than every name;

10 So that at the name of Jesus every knee may be bent, of those in heaven and those on earth and those in the underworld,

11 And that every tongue may give witness that Jesus Christ is LORD, to the glory of God the Father.

12 Dearest friends, you were always so careful to follow my instructions when I was with you. And now that I am away you must be even more careful to put into action God's saving work in your lives, obeying God with deep reverence and fear.

13 For it is God who is the cause of your desires and of your acts, for his good pleasure.

14 Do all things without protests and arguments;

15 So that you may be holy and gentle, children of God without sin in a twisted and foolish generation, among whom you are seen as lights in the world,

16 Hold tightly to the word of life, so that when Christ returns, I will be proud that I did not lose the race and that my work was not useless.

17 And even if I am offered like a drink offering, giving myself for the cause and work of your faith, I am glad and have joy with you all:

18 And in the same way do you be glad and have a part in my joy.

19 But I am hoping in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you before long, so that I may be comforted when I have news of you.

20 For I have no man of like Timothy who will truly have care for you.

21 For they all go after what is theirs, not after the things of Christ.

22 But his quality is clear to you; how, as a child is to its father, so he was a help to me in the work of the good news.

23 I hope to send him to you just as soon as I find out what is going to happen to me here.

24 But I have faith in the LORD that I myself will come before long.
Paul is wrong again....
25 But it seemed to me necessary to send to you Epaphroditus, my brother, who has taken part with me in the work and in the fight, and your servant, sent by you for help in my need;

26 Because his heart was with you all, and he was greatly troubled because you had news that he was ill:

27 For in fact he was ill almost to death: but God had mercy on him; and not only on him but on me, so that I might not have grief on grief.

28 I have sent him, then, the more gladly, so that when you see him again, you may be happy and I may have the less sorrow.

29 So take him to your hearts in the LORD with all joy, and give honor to such as he is:

30 Because for the work of Christ he was near to death, putting his life in danger to make your care for me complete.


Philippians 4:
1 Therefore, my friends I love you and long to see you, for you are my joy and the reward for my work. So please stay true to the LORD.

2 I implore Euodia and Syntyche to be of the same mind in the LORD.

3 And I ask you, my true teammate, to help these women, for they worked hard with me in telling others the Good News. And they worked with Clement and the rest of my co-workers, whose names are written in the Book of Life.

4 Rejoice in the LORD always. Again I will say, rejoice!

5 Let your gentleness be known to all men. The LORD is at hand.

6 Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.

7 If you do this, you will experience God's peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.

8 Finally, friends, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy--meditate on these things.

9 The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.

10 But I rejoiced in the LORD greatly that now at last your care for me has flourished again; though you surely did care, but you lacked opportunity.

11 Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to get along happily whether I have much or little.

12 I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little.

13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

14 Nevertheless you have done well that you shared in my distress.

15 Now you Philippians know also that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church shared with me concerning giving and receiving but only you.

16 Even when I was in Thessalonica you sent help more than once.

17 I don't say this because I want a gift from you. What I want is for you to receive a well-earned reward because of your kindness.

18 At the moment I have all I need -- more than I need! I am generously supplied with the gifts you sent me with Epaphroditus. They are a sweet-smelling sacrifice that is acceptable to God and pleases Him.

19 And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

20 Now to our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen.

21 Greet every saint in Christ Jesus. The brethren who are with me greet you.

22 All the saints greet you, but especially those who are of Caesar's household.

23 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.


{Signed Paul}